Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tackle it Tuesday

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

My tackle this week was to cook 7 meals in advance. I like to do this because afternoons are my low energy time. Defrosting and throwing something in the oven is right up my alley. And 7 meals can easily last us two weeks.



I use Cyndy Salzmann's book The Occasional Cook because she gives you menus, recipes, shoppings lists, and a game plan. It cuts down on the thinking for me.

For this week I made Nebraska Shepherd's Pie, Taco Soup, Barbeque Cups, Chuckwagon Quesadillas, Porcupines, Swedish Meatballs, and Sloppy Joes. All are family friendly.

I photocopy the recipes to use on the counter while I'm cooking because I'm a messy cook and I'd rather replace a splattered photocopy than a whole cookbook.

The whole thing took me 2.5 hours including clean up, which works out to about 20 minutes a meal. Quite a time saver!

9 comments:

*~JESSIE~* said...

That is a wonderful idea. I need to try that! Great tackle!

Diana said...

Good for you! I used to do that when my kids were home, cook for month. It was a HARD day of cooking but the rest of the month was fantastic. Maybe I should do that again, there are only two of us but if I split everything into 2 portion sizes....hmmm, I'm going to check this out. Thanks Jen!

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness! That's quite a tackle and a great plan!

Melanie said...

This is a great idea. I should really do this. Many evenings I'm trying to keep my toddler occupied while I try to make dinner. This would make it so much easier. Are those vacuum seal bags that you stored the food in?

Come check out my first Tackle it Tuesday!

Michelle Pendergrass said...

I think I could do some cooking like that. We could eat it during the weekdays. I don't know what Phil would do if he couldn't cook on the weekends!

Niki said...

Wow 2.5 hours!! What a great idea. I can't wait until we move & get a bigger freezer. That is definately something I'd like to try.

Jennifer Tiszai said...

I use 1 gallon freezer bags and put them inside the 2 gallon zipper bags that I write on. I can reuse the 2 gallon bags and throw away the 1 gallon ones. Seems to work for me anyway.

Heather said...

Fantastic! It would be SO great not having to decide what's for dinner every day... Great tackle -- congrats!

Corrin said...

Those sound like great recipes! I may have to pick up that book.