Thursday, September 04, 2008

Un-Labor Day Part 3

The remnants of hurricane Gustav are visiting us, giving us much needed rain. About as close as I've ever been to a hurricane.

So back to my story... Sunday we went to a Silverhawks game, the local minor league baseball team. It was Community Day so we had vouchers to get in free. We sat in front row seats next to the bullpen and one of the kids caught a fly ball.

After that, we went to the Blueberry Festival, the area's biggest weekend festival. We listened to Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. They're a modern horn band with a style that ranges from Big Band to swing to echoes of Chicago. I've really enjoyed this band for years, even before they were on TV's Next Greatest Band or whatever that was called. They are also made up of local boys, which just adds to the enjoyment. And the fact that they love Jesus and are open about it with their music and during their concerts is just icing on the proverbial cake.

After the concert, I got a custom fitted toe ring which I have been wanting for over a year. Yeah, it doesn't take much to make me happy.
Finally, we watched one of the best fireworks shows I've ever seen. It lasted nearly 30 minutes. What was so odd to me, coming from an area where fireworks are so strictly regulated because of the fire danger, was to see the embers floating down over our heads and through the trees like showers of pixie dust. It was beautiful but I kept waiting for something to catch on fire.

Monday we went to another Silverhawks game, the last one of the regular season--they did make the playoffs. It was Dollar Day so we got the same cool seats for a dollar each, plus dollar dogs and sodas. It was pretty hot though, mid-90s, so I was quite happy when Calvin wanted to leave early.

So that was my Labor Day. Winter can come now (not really, but it'll be here far too soon, I'm sure). Anyone else do anything fun or interesting?

3 comments:

Malia Spencer said...

I went to a picnic for our church community at a park right across the street from the beach. Still on the crutches, so everyone went but me. :(

Anyway, one of my friends very nicely brought me a chair so I wouldn't be sitting on the ground. I wish I had had somebody take a picture of the chair. It was the ultimate deluxe of outdoor canvas chairs. It had two drink holders, a pillow and wait for it...a footrest! That made the day so much better and I could stay longer since I was off my feet and they were elevated. There was even a cute guy getting stuff for me. Can't ask for more than that. :)

Unknown said...

Ooh, Malia, that sounds pretty cool. Good thing you didn't attempt the beach. Crutches and sand... not a pretty sight. But that chair sounds awesome!

Malia Spencer said...

Crutches and sand aren't a pretty sight. I did it for a friend's wedding a few weeks ago. They actually got married on the beach and the reception was in a tent in the park portion.

It was hot and well, there was sand. It was a beautiful wedding, but I was a little too miserable to enjoy it. :/