Sunday, January 18, 2009

From Macro to Micro

We did something unusual at church today. We watched a video by Louie Giglio from the How Great is Our God tour. The whole thing is amazing but I was struck by two things.

At the very macro level, where stars are so big that the earth isn't even a pinprick on their surface in comparison, we see God's creation. Psalm 33:6 says, "The LORD merely spoke, and the heavens were created. He breathed the word, and all the stars were born." He breathed that massive fireball into existence. His very breath created something so big, that our planet is incredibly tiny in comparison, let alone our puny human selves.

Then there's the whirlpool galaxy that is perpendicular to ours, so that the Hubble telescope can take this amazing picture of the black hole at the center.


Then zooming down to the micro level, to the very structure of our bodies and the cells that make them up and hold them together we find something called laminin. It's a protein molecule that hold our cells and membranes together.

And it happens to look like this:



In Colossians 1, talking about the supremacy of Christ, says this in verse 17: "He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together."

Wow. At every level of my life (since I tend to look at everything in relation to me), from the most mind-blowing, God-breathed, massive star to the most mind-blowing molecular level of me...God is there. Intimately.

And I draw this conclusion. If God designed all of that stuff I just talked about, and His Word and His actions say how much He loves me, how can I ever doubt His plan for me? He knows what He's doing, and I think He's just proved that just because I can't see that, doesn't mean it's not true. It's just that my mind can't comprehend the plans of a God who can breath stars into being and put His mark on the very cells of my body.

All Scripture from the NLT.

1 comment:

Jeanne Damoff said...

Amen. Good thoughts, Jen. We had a similar discussion in our SS class yesterday. The vastness and intimacy of our God--so amazing to contemplate. And so reassuring as we go forward into a future unknown to us but lovingly planned by Him.