Sunday, May 24, 2009

Laughter is Serious Business

I like laughing. I like things that are funny. And if they aren't funny, I generally try to find a way to make them so. I amuse myself quite often. Others probably not so much. But that's okay.

So, if you are intrigued by all things funny, you might check out this post on the Simpleology blog.

Blogger Bean Jones discusses Robert R. Provine's book, Laughter: A Scientific Investigation, which discusses the psychology behind laughter, as well as its mental benefits.

Jones uses this quote from the book:

"Laughter is a fundamental part of the texture of everyday life," says Provine. "It is so fundamental, in fact, that we tend to forget how strange--and how important--it is. Yet while laughter is one of the most common human behaviors, it has, until recently, escaped the scientific scrutiny that has dissected every other aspect of our characters."


Sounds intriguing and I plan on checking it out. But wouldn't it really be fun to be a scientist studying laughter? Just think of the possibilities...

No comments: